Laura is the current President and managing partner of Cuneo, Black, Ward & Missler. She joined the firm in 2014 and became a shareholder in 2019. She has practiced workers’ compensation law since 2010. Laura received her designation as a Certified Workers’ Compensation Specialist by the State Bar of California in 2018.
Laura represents both insurance carriers and self-insured employers including public agencies. Her practice is focused on representation that is tailored to achieve each client’s specific goals. Her skills and past experience include initial case analysis with recommended litigation strategy, discovery implementation, negotiations and settlement, as well as trial and post-trial appellate work. Because of her significant experience, she has become very adept at estimating permanent disability, developing a settlement strategy and finalizing settlement early and quickly when possible.
Laura is an experienced appellate attorney. She has handled numerous appeals, including Petitions for Reconsideration and/or Removal as well as appeals both at the Court of Appeal and the California Supreme Court. She has also successfully defended appeals filed on behalf of applicants.
Range of Experience
Laura handles a wide range of workers’ compensation claims including catastrophic injuries, psychiatric injuries, and injuries involving public safety employees. She is also frequently hired on a consultation basis by employers even though the insurance carrier is represented by other defense counsel. She provides an analysis of the case that helps the employer understand the litigation process and serves as a liaison between the employer and defense counsel.
What is the most interesting case you handled?
She once handled a case where the injured worker was a workers’ compensation defense attorney who filed cumulative trauma claims against three separate defense firms.
Laura Lachman (Stokes)
Cuneo Black Ward & Missler
700 University Avenue, Suite 110
Sacramento, CA 95825
Tel: (916) 363-8822
Fax: (916) 363-8821
Professional & Bar Association Membership:
- State Bar of California
- State Bar Workers’ Compensation Section
- Sacramento County Bar Association
- Sacramento County Bar Workers’ Compensation Section
- University of California, Berkeley 2005, Bachelor of Arts in Legal Studies
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law 2009, Juris Doctor (J.D.)
- Witkin Award for academic excellence in Evidence
- Dean’s Honor List 2008 and 2009
- Member of the Traynor Honor Society.
- California State Bar Certified Workers’ Compensation Specialist.
- Harbinson Tune Kasselik, Associate Attorney in Workers’ Compensation Defense
- Legal Aid of Marin, Attorney Volunteer